Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 317 Tuesday

Repair or not? These dining room chairs are over 20 years old, and the seats are about to fall apart. The wood is solid, and if I replaced my table/chairs it would not be with this quality (which would mean easier to move, for one thing!). Professional re-caning would be $130 per chair (I have six) so is not an option. I've been waffling for months (it would be shame to get rid of them), but it is only a matter of time before a guest falls through.


6 comments:

my15minutes said...

Get one recaned each month. That way the cost won't kill you... and besides, if you've been waffling for months anyway, you won't mind the delay! Then you can just direct your guests to the safe chairs. :-)

LauraLiz said...

Your comment made me think a bit about my personality. It isn't that I don't physically have the money, it'd just that I can't seem to justify almost $800 to repair the chairs. (I could go on a nice trip for that!) The table needs refinishing as well, and for way less than $800 I could buy something new--or even used and in good condition (living as I do now, I don't need/want really nice dining room furniture). I think the waffling is more how attached I am to the furniture I've had for so long (and what would happen to it--it is too good to trash, but most used furniture stores don't take things that need repair). I really need to get a new estimate now that I've moved.

I just need to get a grip and make some decision! :-)

SUSAN said...

These types of decisions are agonzing. I have old furniture that needs recushioning and reupholstering but the expense is hard to justify. But the memories...

Susan

MaryD said...

Voting for the "get one re-caned per month" idea. (Or two, just so it isn't almost 800 at one time!) I've gone through phases where I've just gotten rid of stuff but am regretting it later. These are lovely chairs, and may not be so easy to replace with something else you'll still love years down the road!

Ampersand said...

Oh, I am not even a sentimental sort and I can tell that you really want to keep them!

Just.Do.It.

:-)

Lauren said...

Please take a picture of whoever falls through (as long as it's not me).