My least favorite part of moving is visiting churches.
This church meets in what used to be a tabernacle of some sort. Now it is called the Great Aunt Stella Center--do not ask me why! As I left church today, I saw what I should have taken a picture of! The sign out front reflects the various faces of the church building, I suppose. It says something like Self Help Great Aunt Stella Center Uptown Church. I cracked up, trying to imagine what I'd have thought if I'd seen the sign before knowing anything about the church.
The interior is very interesting. Dark burgandy carpet, large stained glass windows, huge pipes for an organ, old woodwork on the balcony rails and stairs, uncomfortable old (squished together) pews...it was a nice feel.
4 comments:
Cool architecture! I love old, red brick structures. What did you think of the sermon?
Susan
At least you are finding some beauty--interesting architecture in your search!
Love the name of the church! I am curious like Susan about the sermon/atmosphere/people.
The Great Aunt Stella Center
The "Self-Help" center is not as bad as it sounds - it's actually a community service that aids in finding people decent jobs that match their skill sets, etc. Just who Great Aunt Stella was? Probably the one who donated the building to the city. Uptown Church's policy is to not own real estate, but rent what we need and plant more churches :).
Karen
Post a Comment