In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew
To a stately size and a lovely hue
'Twas strong & firm its branches interwoven
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.
Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
"Never again shall the dogwood grow
Large enough to be used so
Slender & twisted, it shall be
With blossoms like the cross for all to see.
As blood stains the petals marked in brown
The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.
All who see it will remember me
Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.
Cherished and protected this tree shall be
A reminder to all of my agony."
(from gotquestions.org)
I like the symbolism of the dogwood blossom.
4 comments:
Wow, have you seen Sandie's post for yesterday? :-)
Susan
Great minds thinking alike! That is too funny that we posted the same legend! I like you photo a lot too.
These flowers are very appealing (and though this may sound strange, I'm surprised because I prefer odd numbers and the four petals are so balanced, which I don't go for!).
I love your contrast between spring and winter! I have a shot I'm planning on taking to contrast the seasons as well - it just needs to actually start looking like spring here :)
I love dogwood. This is a beautiful photo.
You and Sandie were on the same wavelength! The dogwood are different varieties though.
Post a Comment