She was ready to go. She walked peacefully into eternity. I'm grateful. But I feel a little like this flower...just let me hide my head on a rock for a few minutes until I can stand tall and face the sun again.
I am from Grandma.
I am from incredible biscuits, gumbo on holidays, and talks on the porch while she opened oysters (and slurped as she went).
I am from a fierce love, and "step-grandmother" without the step.
I am from smiling blue eyes. kisses on the mouth, and hard hugs.
I am from her solid faith, her unwavering devotion, her unceasing prayers.
I am from the fount of all local knowledge, the postmistress of our country community.
I am from her yard, the huge old oaks, the giant azaleas, the pink running roses.
I am from the wringer washing machine, the pump house, the cow lot, and Easter egg hunts.
I am from talking to dogs and calling the cows.
I am from her garden, the terrible heat, the never ending rows.
I am from shelling peas and snapping beans.
I am from her trusting spirit, her giving heart, her life lived for others.
I am from Grandma.
10 comments:
Beautiful tribute Laura, and touching photo to express your feelings. I'm so sorry about your grandma.
Wonderful tribute and the photo is a good reflection of your feelings.
Your grandma sounds like a classic.
Many hugs today,Laura.
Susan
I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandma. ((Laura)) Your tribute to her is so full of love and admiration. Thank you for sharing it. And the photo is very fitting as well.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers over the next few days.
Sandy
Perfect photo for your feelings. Peace be on her and you.
Laura, what a wonderful person she is. I know you will miss her. This is a beautiful remembrance of her.
The photo is so expressive. I love the poem. What a great adaptation of the "Im am from" exercise. You described your grandmother so well that I feel like I've sat on her porch before.
Laura, Thank you for expressing as only you can! You put it all into words that refused to come to me last night as I tried to remember!Thank you and I love you!
this is such a perfect photo to match the beautiful words.
So sorry about your grandma. The daffodil is so expressive, as are your words about her.
This is me, Mary"D" to add my comment. Your tribute was powerful and beautiful. I'm sorry for your loss and sadness at her death, and so thankful for all that she brought to your life!
Post a Comment