Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Day 68 (March 9) Grandma's front yard


IMG_4401.JPG, originally uploaded by LauraLizzie.

The tree was incredible when I was a teenager. Now it takes my breath away! This is the view from Grandma's front porch, where so many of my memories of her are centered.

Today was Grandma's funeral. Among other things, we read Paul's words about fighting the good fight. The pastor said Grandma would want to know if we were fighting the good fight. Am I involved in things of eternal value? Am I focused on what is good and right and pure...and true? She'd want to know if I was finishing the race. Am I tired of well doing? Am I persevering?

On the way to the cemetery I realized how far I've gotten from home. I've lived "away" long enough to forget how the world stops in lower Alabama when someone takes that last ride. As vehicles pulled off the road for the entire procession, I lost it. Even realizing that some people sat there fuming at the delay, I was overwhelmed by how it said "honor" to me. All along the entire route, strangers put their lives on hold to show respect to a saint going home. My grandmother. And pulling out my camera never entered my head.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

My, what a tree! What kind is it?

SUSAN said...

Beautiful Laura. It sounds like your grandma was honored and loved by many.

I can see why you have such good memories of her place. What fun to climb in that tree and swing on that swing. :-)

Glad you are back!

Susan

Ampersand said...

I'm so happy to meet your beloved tree :-).

MaryD said...

Your pictures and your thoughts tell such a poignant story, a dearly-loved person and memories... celebrated in her sending-off.