I'm cheating. I did not take even one photo today, but will post more from my trip to Alabama.
Saturday morning I hiked around the homeplace, amazed at how everything has grown and been overgrown! Along the front pasture fence, I fought my way through the underbrush, wondering if I'd remembered correctly.....and stepped into the magic place. Years ago it was fun (we rode the low branches like horses), but now it is pure magic.
This huge oak tree has branches as big as tree trunks, growing down to the ground, running along the earth, curving back up a bit....I stood under the canopy, surrounded by huge branches all around me--and cried. The photos don't begin to convey the feel. Maybe it was the misty morning, but it was such a secret place, so earthy, so real, so old. It was a bit disorienting, as if I'd stepped through one of L'Engle's wrinkles in time.
Click on The Magic Place for more (inadequate) photos. I went back another day with my brother and his wife, so some of the photos are misty and some are sunny.
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Day 74 The Magic Place
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Truly magical. I love these kinds of places. The Irish call them "Thin Places". ;-)
Susan
I believe you that this picture is inadequate. But your writing helped convey the richer feel of the place. Thank you.
I love places like this. I had a few at my grandmother's house before she sold it. My cousins and I used to climb and play in them often. This one is amazing.
Loved reading and seeing this magic.
Oak Trees-God's super model. Never take a bad picture!
Thanks for letting me link your site.
I am there with you. We all need a magic place. I had one at my grandparents' house. Our children had one in the woods behind our house. The words and photo show how special yours is.
I love the magic place picture. The effect of the mist just seems to call forth potential stories, adventures, mysteries... imagination and a place like this-- what a combination...
Post a Comment